The Legend is HTC's first Android 2.1 phone with Sense UI. The Taiwanese giant is sure making its way to the top with some of the bestselling phones in queue. The HTC Legend retains all the great features of HTC Hero plus it has some additional features that make it a great choice.
The Legend has a sleek unibody aluminium design that lends it a premium and sophisticated look. It feels really solid in the hand and appears attractive. It is quite light weighted- about 126 grams and its dimensions are 56 x 112 x 12 mm.
The Legend has a 5 megapixel camera with auto-focus feature. It has a maximum resolution of 2592 x 1936 pixels. Image quality is average and the pictures suffer from poor contrast and plenty of noise. It has shutter buttons on top of the casing.
The Legend is a beautiful phone that is fun to play around with. Its great design combined with its Android platform provides users the chance to customize their phones and download several applications.
Interface: The HTC Legend offers a range of home screens and a large number of widgets. The Sense UI offers 7 home screens and when the phone is turned on a few pre-installed ones are found as default.
HTC Legend Screen
The Legend has a 3.2 inches screen that has been given an AMOLED boost. It is very bright and has saturated colors with a 320x480-pixel resolution. The small screen makes it small and compact- thus easy to carry around.
Keypad and Controls
The Legend comes with a virtual QWERTY keypad. The screen is only 3.2 inches and hence typing on it is not as simple and easy as it seems to be.
The music player in the Legend is great. It has a simple and easy to use interface. The album artwork is displayed on the screen. The earphones produce great quality sound. Legend allows choice of artists, albums, tracks, genres and also lets music to be purchased online. The player can play different formats like .aac, .amr, .ogg, .m4a, .mid, mp3, .wav, .wma.
Email has been implemented very well on the Legend. It has blog standard Android, and ones Outlook folders can also be viewed. The email program has a simple user interface that makes it easier to view threaded conversations and filter mail.
The media features in HTC Legend matches expectations. The music player has been greatly improved. A full screen music player is present that offers a choice of albums, tracks, genres, artists and a lot more. Music can also be purchased online. Its video player also works quite well.
It can play formats like MP4, AVI and H.264 all of which work just fine. The Legend also features an FM radio and a YouTube application. The latter is quite good as it not only offers high quality viewing over both WiFi and 3G, it also lets one rate, comment and even share links.
The web browser in the HTC Legend is built on the same WebKit base as most other Android phones. The pinch to zoom feature facilitates easy text expanding. The speed of the internet browser is appreciable. It is integrated with Facebook. Photo-sharing is facilitated on Flicker, Facebook and Twitter. Video sharing can also be done on YouTube.
It has a 512MB ROM and a 384MB RAM. The memory can be expanded up to 32GB with the help of the microSD slot.
Connectivity and Data
The HTC Legend is a quad-band GSM phone that supports GSM 850/900/1800/1900. It also features Bluetooth 2.1 with enhanced data rate, A2DP support for wireless stereo headsets and a microUSB connectivity.
Usability & Performance
The HTC Legend is a great handset that performs commendably. The call quality of the phone is superb. It has a 1300mAh Li-Ion battery that offers a continuous talktime up to8.16hours. The device can also be kept operational in standby for up to 18 days.
HTC Legend Phone Specifications
- Weight: 4.44 oz - 126 g
- Width: 4.41" - 1112 mm
- Height: 2.22" - 56.3 mm
- Thickness: 0.45" - 11.5 mm
- Display size: 3.2"
- Announced: 2010, March
- Colors: Gray, Black
- Network: GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900 - UMTS: 900, 2100
- Screen Resolution: 320 x 480 pixels - AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors - Multi-touch - Proximity Sensor
- Data: GPRS Class 10, EDGE Class 10, 3G HSDPA 7.2 Mbit/s - HSUPA 2.0 Mbit/s, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g, Bluetooth v2.1 with A2DP, USB microUSB v2.0
- Memory: Internal phone storage 384 MB RAM, 512 MB ROM, microSD, up to 32GB
- Connectivity: USB v2.0 microUSB, Bluetooth 2.1
- Web Browser: HTML, Flash
- Media and Music: MP3, AAC, WMA, WAV, M4A (Apple lossless), AMR, OGG, MIDI player, MP4/H.263/H.264/WMV9 player - Support; aac, .amr, .ogg, .m4a, .mid, .mp3, .wav, .wma (Windows Media Audio 9), 3gp, .3g2, .mp4, .wmv
- Camera: 5 MP, 2592 x 1944 pixels, autofocus, LED flash, Geo tagging
- Messaging: SMS, MMS, Email, Push Email, IM
- Expansion Slot: microSD, microSDHC
- Tones: Vibration, MP3, WAV ringtones
- Software Features: Android OS v2.1 (Eclair)
- Other Features: Friend Stream, HTC Sync, HTC Sense, Amazon MP3, Google Search, Maps, Gmail, YouTube, Google Talk, Picasa integration, Voice memo/dial, T9, HTC Widgets, Stereo FM radio with RDS, Games
- US Sar Values: Head: ---, Body: ---
- CPU Processing Speed: QQualcomm MSM 7227 600 MHz processor
- Battery: Li-Ion 1300 mAh
- Talk Time: up to 420 mins
- Standby: up to 440 hours
Pros & Cons
- Great looks.
- Great virtual keyboard.
- Bright 3.2 inches AMOLED touch screen.
- Fast Web browser.
- Good call quality.
- Battery life is low.
- A few home screen widgets need to be better.
With its great looks, speedy service and fun elements the Legend lives up to its name of being a legend! The best part is the Htc Legend does not suffer the fate of sequels and is better than its predecessors. Its gorgeous metallic body and slick interface manages to impress a hardcore gadget lover. Also its small size makes it pocket-friendly.